Monday, May 5, 2008

Oh, Kwame!

We've left the laugh out loud text message scandal that wrapped Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick in controversy alone for awhile. It was getting sort of old. I mean how many text message jokes can one blog tell.

Today, however, a Wayne County circuit court judge released more embarassing text messages between Kilpatrick and his former Chief of Staff, Christine Beatty:

BEATTY TO MAYOR
"LOL! N----, I already claimed it! KCK 2012. You told me that you would be my boyfriend everyday until I was your wife. Are you renigging?"

MAYOR TO BEATTY
"Hell no! Don't start none. Won't be none n---ette! LOL"

This has brought a renewed chorus of calls for Kilpatrick to resign, most notably from former Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix:

"At some point you really have to put the welfare of the city, of the taxpayers, of the people who live here first, and I think if he's honest about doing that, I don't think there's any other conclusion he can come to than to step aside."
This does have implications on the presidential campaign. Detroit is a mayor voting bloc in Michigan and some Democrats are openly questioning Kilpatrick's ability to get out the vote.

No comments: