Thursday, January 17, 2008

BET founder, (Hopin') Bob Johnson apologizes to Obama

After taking serious hits, especially from the black blogosphere (see Davey D's blog: Why Bob Johnson is an Asshole & Hypocrite) good ol' hopin' Bob apologized to Sen. Barak Obama. On Sunday the BET founder made a clear reference to Obama's drug use as a teenager at a Clinton rally when he said:

"As an African American, I am frankly insulted that the Obama campaign would imply that we are so stupid that we would think Hillary and Bill Clinton, who have been deeply and emotionally involved in black issues, when Barack Obama was doing something in the neighborhood that I won't say what he was doing but he said it in his book..." - Bob Johnson on Obama
Initially Johnson said his comments were being mis-characterized. The Clinton campaign agreed saying Johnson was referring to Obama's years as a community organizer in Chicago. Why would he not want to mention Obama's organizing? Hmm...

...today Johnson sent Obama a letter that said:

"I'm writing to apologize to you and your family personally for the un-called-for comments I made at a recent Clinton event...In my zeal to support Senator Clinton, I made some very inappropriate remarks for which I am truly sorry. I hope that you will accept this apology. Good luck on the campaign trail." - Bob Johnson' s letter to Obama
Now if we can only get him to atone for BET.

No comments: